Thread: Cravings
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
matt4x4

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
I think most of us know what you mean, VioletFlame. Cravings, urges, whatever you choose to call them, they are both thoughts that say Drink Now.

My cravings/urges went way down when I understood that they couldn't force me to do anything, and I soon stopped being afraid of them. They come, they go, phhhhhhhhht. Who cares? When they go, and they always do, I remain. Sober.

Don't fear them when they come, turn and look straight at them. Point and laugh. They really are pathetic, because you have decided not to drink anymore, and you are in charge. Onward!
Cravings are not thoughts. Cravings are the physically allergy to alcohol, where you want more and more and more.

An obsession is just a thought.

OK I am in example mode today. So the example is I have a thought of eating a peanut butter chocolate bar, its just a thought, I do not go through with it because I am allergic to peanut butter. If I give into the thought, and eat that chocolate bar with peanuts in it, and I am deathly allergic to peanut butter, then I will need an ambulance ASAP. There is the thought, then there is the medical aftermath. Cravings are the aftermath, the intake of alcohol. I know its hard to wrap your brain around. I physically do not crave alcohol when its not in my body, I might THINK I crave it, as most of you seem to think, but its just a thought, you dont physically crave alcohol until its in your system, by drinking it. Its exactly like an allergy to any kind of food. Except you dont break out in a rash when the drink is taken, the allergic reaction to alcohol is cravings. So this explains why, at the end of the night when I am puking my guts out, I can barely walk and I can barely talk, I pass out on the floor, and last call is yelled from the bar, I always wanted more alcohol. I did not need more alcohol but I always wanted more. That is why I drank in excess.