Notices

Cravings

Old 03-31-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings

How do you guys control cravings. I find that when I am bored its even worse. I try to keep my mind occupied by trying to watch a tv program but sometimes i can't. I have even tried to take a xanax because I have a prescription for my anxiety. But nothing seems to work when I get it in my head that I want a drink
!
MY CRAVING IS MORE MENTAL THAN PHYSICAL. I have proven this because even if i take anticraving supplements like L-Glutamine and Gabapentin to help control my cravings. They do not work when I really want a drink.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is there a specific time you get cravings? When it happens I turned to television shows (walking dead, game of thrones, etc.) that pass the time by so quickly that I forget about them. This is coming from someone who never watched television.

Taking a walk can help too. Do you have a favorite non-alcoholic drink?

I find drinking one of mine with a meal helps me feel satisfied.

Also I like to think of how terrible I feel in the morning after drinking which caused me to drink more to stave off the impending hangover.

Do you have a fresh memory of a hangover that you never want to feel again?

Going to meetings is a great support system or talking with someone.

Do you do that or are you interested in that kind of thing?
Old 03-31-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by violetflame View Post
How do you guys control cravings.
I don't. But I also don't let them control me. It's just a feeling. I have plenty of feelings I don't act on. (For example, my boss is a giant d-bag and I feel like stabbing my keys into his eyeballs.)

A craving is an expression of the addiction. It isn't getting what it wants so it turns up the heat on you. It makes you feel stress and anxiety in order to compel you to do what it wants. I had to learn how to tell it "no". My addiction had to learn how to be disappointed.

Try to relax. It can't hurt you. Nothing bad will happen if you don't drink. It just feels a bit uncomfortable.

Hang in there. You can do this.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It just happens to me when I am home alone. I feel so bored and lonely. I think why not a couple of drinks to pass the time. But it only works for a while before i have ended up having 5. And feeling terrible about myself the next day.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ever tried Urge Surfing, Violet?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html
D
Old 03-31-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I don't. But I also don't let them control me. It's just a feeling. I have plenty of feelings I don't act on. (For example, my boss is a giant d-bag and I feel like stabbing my keys into his eyeballs.) A craving is an expression of the addiction. It isn't getting what it wants so it turns up the heat on you. It makes you feel stress and anxiety in order to compel you to do what it wants. I had to learn how to tell it "no". My addiction had to learn how to be disappointed. Try to relax. It can't hurt you. Nothing bad will happen if you don't drink. It just feels a bit uncomfortable. Hang in there. You can do this.
I love this. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How do you guys control cravings. I find that when I am bored its even worse. I try to keep my mind occupied by trying to watch a tv program but sometimes i can't. I have even tried to take a xanax because I have a prescription for my anxiety. But nothing seems to work when I get it in my head that I want a drink
!
MY CRAVING IS MORE MENTAL THAN PHYSICAL. I have proven this because even if i take anticraving supplements like L-Glutamine and Gabapentin to help control my cravings. They do not work when I really want a drink.
Cravings are 100% physical, once you take a drink, you crave physically more and more booze. Otherwise its just a thought. This must be a rehab thing with everyone thinking cravings happen without taking a drink.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I think most of us know what you mean, VioletFlame. Cravings, urges, whatever you choose to call them, they are both thoughts that say Drink Now.

My cravings/urges went way down when I understood that they couldn't force me to do anything, and I soon stopped being afraid of them. They come, they go, phhhhhhhhht. Who cares? When they go, and they always do, I remain. Sober.

Don't fear them when they come, turn and look straight at them. Point and laugh. They really are pathetic, because you have decided not to drink anymore, and you are in charge. Onward!
Old 04-01-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My friend... who I was dating until a couple of days ago is an alcoholic in recovery.
He has a lot of anxiety.. and I was wondering how much that has to do with physical cravings. I know he does not want to be a problem drinker anymore and spends all his time in meetings. But can someone explain what it feels like and do you think that the physical pull of the cravings is causing most of the anxiety, or fear of relapse?
I did not know he was actively drinking when we started dating because he lied and said he was sober 5 years. We broke up so he can focus on getting sober. I am hurting about the lies. I do not know if the cravings will continue to cause anxiety 6 months from now, 6 months sober. Thoughts? Your experience? I am not addicted.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I gave in last night. It was like I was watching myself outside of myself going to buy the wine. It didn't even taste good. It was just chasing the high. I don't know what is to become of me if I continue this way. Last night was non-eventful. But who knows what will happen next time? Who I will hurt or how I will humiliate myself. I need help.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

!
Hi Violetflame,

I found my early days the very same, and even watching my favourite tv programmes didn't help too much either because I normally watched them with a can of beer in one hand and the remote control in the other.. I think it's much like a smoker giving up, the hands I think are not used to doing nothing.
Anyway on a plus note it is now April, sounds silly but I love to scratch off another month of not drinking now March is out of the way.
Well done violetflame doin great.
All the best
Stuart.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes I am starting fresh this month.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I gave in last night. It was like I was watching myself outside of myself going to buy the wine. It didn't even taste good. It was just chasing the high.
I can relate. Been there with the wine. Change your daily routine. You just need to get through a day or two of sobriety. I always felt like the first day committing was the hardest. Then the ball gets rolling and the sober days pass by. Reading all I can daily about this disease has helped keep me focused lately.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
I think most of us know what you mean, VioletFlame. Cravings, urges, whatever you choose to call them, they are both thoughts that say Drink Now.

My cravings/urges went way down when I understood that they couldn't force me to do anything, and I soon stopped being afraid of them. They come, they go, phhhhhhhhht. Who cares? When they go, and they always do, I remain. Sober.

Don't fear them when they come, turn and look straight at them. Point and laugh. They really are pathetic, because you have decided not to drink anymore, and you are in charge. Onward!
Cravings are not thoughts. Cravings are the physically allergy to alcohol, where you want more and more and more.

An obsession is just a thought.

OK I am in example mode today. So the example is I have a thought of eating a peanut butter chocolate bar, its just a thought, I do not go through with it because I am allergic to peanut butter. If I give into the thought, and eat that chocolate bar with peanuts in it, and I am deathly allergic to peanut butter, then I will need an ambulance ASAP. There is the thought, then there is the medical aftermath. Cravings are the aftermath, the intake of alcohol. I know its hard to wrap your brain around. I physically do not crave alcohol when its not in my body, I might THINK I crave it, as most of you seem to think, but its just a thought, you dont physically crave alcohol until its in your system, by drinking it. Its exactly like an allergy to any kind of food. Except you dont break out in a rash when the drink is taken, the allergic reaction to alcohol is cravings. So this explains why, at the end of the night when I am puking my guts out, I can barely walk and I can barely talk, I pass out on the floor, and last call is yelled from the bar, I always wanted more alcohol. I did not need more alcohol but I always wanted more. That is why I drank in excess.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
zjw

the good news is it gets easier. I tried to occupy myself with jsut about anything. I also climbed the walls and wanted a drink so stinken bad sometimes too but i didnt give in. Early on i'd have a cup of tea to relax. Oh yes i know it was far from 15 beers but the act of prepareing it etc.. helped. I tried every supplement in the book some helped some didnt but going throught hat little process also kept me occupied. I read books about it some helped some didnt but again it kept me busy.

So while somes tuff works and some stuff doesnt sometimes its just tryen anything that ends up just keeping you busy and not drinking that helps too.

the regular cravings get easier then theres the other kind like the situational stuff. I had a bad day i'm haven a drink!! that sorta thing. I started to realize I could come up with any kind of situational reason. I realized it was just excuses. I never had a good reason to drink. I started to realize that me and booze just didnt play very nicely togethr in the sand box and that I needed to accept that and move forward. Then it started getting easier. Tho I still have cravings now and then at almost 3 years.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

cravings and urges to drink i hate them.

for me i had to find something to occupy my mind. i exercise, read, and even cook a nice meal for me.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

All I know is I cannot drink today.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

How are you doing today Violet?
Old 10-12-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Today is October 12. I had been doing really good for a long time then like a week ago something snapped inside me one day out of the blue and i drank. Been drinking for like a week. Sucks but true. I am having trouble concentrating on watching tv. All i do is sit around on these forums ( I AM ALSO IN MENTAL HEALTH FORUMS) and wait for the hours to pass by till i think it is a reasonable time to go get my wine. My daughter is staying with her dad . She already saw me drunk the other day, This is a freaking nightmare, I need help
Old 10-12-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Violet do you have plans for help? Can you confide in someone?