View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
SoberLife2014

Welcome Kimsfriend and Greenturtle! This is a great group of moms sharing their experience, strength, and hope!
I'm a SAHM to a sweet little 7 month old boy. I'm a nurse by trade. I've basically been binge drinking since I was about 15 but I started to do it regularly about 7 years ago after I got a DUI on the last day of nursing school. When I started working as a nurse I had a lot of days off because I only worked 3 days a week and I was depressed so I just started to drink on my days off. It kept progressing and drinking time got earlier and earlier and the amount got larger and larger. I was drinking in secret. I hid it from my husband and everyone else. Near the end of my drinking career I actually got a job working 5 days a week, so I only drank on the weekends but the hangovers were getting worse. I was so shaky and riddled with anxiety that I could hardly do my job. Then I got pregnant and it didn't stop there. I'm ashamed to say that I kept drinking on the weekends sometimes. I felt so scared and in such a dark place. I was so scared for my baby but I didn't know what I know today or have the tools to quit. Finally my husband caught me at 18 wks pregnant (1 yr ago yesterday) and basically told me that either I had to stop drinking or he'd divorce me. Plus, I have a baby to take care of and I can't be getting wasted all the time anymore. I'm glad because I've wanted to quit for a really long time. So, the last time I've had a drink was on Feb. 6, but I've only drank 8 times since I've started my recovery. I know that sounds like a lot, but it's very few and far between. I've learned a lot with my slips too. Each day I'm getting stronger and stronger!