View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Weasel1966
A simple guy making his way

The formula - weekender thread 3/28-30

Drink this and you will feel better. It will take away the pain. Make life seem...... Tolerable.

I expected someone who knew more than me to lead me to a place where I didn't want to drink anymore. I expected someone to fix things. Have answers. Bring me hope.

I sat in a room with dim lights. The fluorescent bulb flickering... tapping out morse code to me.

"They don't know any more than you do" it read.... And I agreed.

I got up at break and said I was leaving. This isn't for me. I don't have a problem.

Next stop was a drug counselor. I masked it with the fact he was a family counselor. I was there to talk about how bad my childhood years were. Nothing to do with crack and booze. Nothing at all.

I expected him to know more than me. Lead me to a place where i didn't want to drink anymore. I expected him to fix things. Have answers. Bring me hope.

At my second rehab this light started to go on. I saw a pattern.

I thought ...they don't have to know more than me. Only I need to know me. Not them.

They are at a place they don't want to drink. That's theirs. I need to find mine.

No one can fix things for me. Only me.

The answers are different for each of us... So why not answer this myself?

Two and a half rehabs. Three therapists. AA. AVRT. Life ring.

I can't reach for something if I don't want it. Sobriety is a gift only I can give myself.

I was shown a lot of things on this path of mine. The most important is that it starts with me. Not my counselor. Not my rehab buddies. Not anyone. I stay sober. Me.

This weekend.... Make it about you. Never stop looking for the formula that works for you!

You can stay sober!
-------------------------------------

Share your formula for how you will stay sober each day this weekend.