Notices

The formula - weekender thread 3/28-30

Old 03-27-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

The formula - weekender thread 3/28-30

Drink this and you will feel better. It will take away the pain. Make life seem...... Tolerable.

I expected someone who knew more than me to lead me to a place where I didn't want to drink anymore. I expected someone to fix things. Have answers. Bring me hope.

I sat in a room with dim lights. The fluorescent bulb flickering... tapping out morse code to me.

"They don't know any more than you do" it read.... And I agreed.

I got up at break and said I was leaving. This isn't for me. I don't have a problem.

Next stop was a drug counselor. I masked it with the fact he was a family counselor. I was there to talk about how bad my childhood years were. Nothing to do with crack and booze. Nothing at all.

I expected him to know more than me. Lead me to a place where i didn't want to drink anymore. I expected him to fix things. Have answers. Bring me hope.

At my second rehab this light started to go on. I saw a pattern.

I thought ...they don't have to know more than me. Only I need to know me. Not them.

They are at a place they don't want to drink. That's theirs. I need to find mine.

No one can fix things for me. Only me.

The answers are different for each of us... So why not answer this myself?

Two and a half rehabs. Three therapists. AA. AVRT. Life ring.

I can't reach for something if I don't want it. Sobriety is a gift only I can give myself.

I was shown a lot of things on this path of mine. The most important is that it starts with me. Not my counselor. Not my rehab buddies. Not anyone. I stay sober. Me.

This weekend.... Make it about you. Never stop looking for the formula that works for you!

You can stay sober!
-------------------------------------

Share your formula for how you will stay sober each day this weekend.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Shotgun!

I can stay sober this weekend. My AV is misbehaving lately, but he's gonna have to suck it up. I have sober living to do.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My AV has also been cackling a bit more than usual lately. Never fear, weekend thread is here!
Old 03-27-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I will gift myself with another weekend of sobriety!
Old 03-27-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If I do this, I will get an entire week. I overcame a huge hurdle today, and feel the momentum. 5 days is the longest I've gone since my son was a newborn (he's 18 months now). My formula for success this weekend will be to read and post as needed and to keep busy!
Old 03-27-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Beautifully said.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This will be my first Friday and Saturday. I can do it!!!!
Old 03-27-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Soooooo true love it love it!!!!! X
Old 03-27-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am definitely in for a sober weekend. This will be my 30th consecutive weekend of sobriety! It is hard to wrap my mind about that still. This weekend is going to be about taking care of me. I have been stressed out to the max lately and I need some time to look after myself.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Sober weekend here!

Closing in on 30 days sober so the weekend should be easy! Planning lots of sober activities and being mindful of avoiding triggers and old playgrounds.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nice post, Weasel!!!

My formula for staying sober is to never pick up the first drink.
Ever.

I sometimes just have to go back to the basics when I am feeling particularly sketchy. I won't start drinking again if I never pick up the first one.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sober weekend for me. My baby brother turns 47 on Saturday and we are going to his house to celebrate. My sister in law is doing some cooking. Mmm. Home made Chinese food. And some catered American food. I'm bringing my usual guacamole.

And I may or may not be moving furniture around. Time for a change so I will take a page out of Ken's last week play book.

Thanks for starting us out. We are the ones who can do this for ourselves. With the support of like minded individuals.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Happy sober weekend!

I'm with GEAH. Closing in on 30 days and this is my fourth sober weekend. I finally got the Fitbit set up so I have some fitness goals to help keep me focused.

As silly as it may sound, I like that sobriety is something I can only give myself. It means I have to do it for me, nobody else. I had to come to it on my own terms. If I had to do it for someone else like my ex wanted, I'd be resentful. Who wants that when living sober can show you how much joy you can get from life.

I'm glad to be here!
Old 03-27-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aarryckha View Post
As silly as it may sound, I like that sobriety is something I can only give myself. It means I have to do it for me, nobody else. I had to come to it on my own terms.
Not silly at all. Love this!
Old 03-27-2014, 11:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Sober weekend here .

Throwing more useless stuff away . Trying to free myself up from the ties of possessions , sure that book was good but do i really need it sat on the shelf for 10 years until i can't remember the story fully and re-read it ?
Do i really need all those empty cd cases ( i keep all my cd's in 1000 pouch album i never open as it's all on the i-pod now )
do i need 3000 45 rpm singles ? i don't have a record player …

Have a good weekend y'all , m
Old 03-28-2014, 01:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Morning Sober Weekenders!!

I'm off all weekend and this is the end of the Ice Hockey Season over here, so gonna savour the game on Sunday Sober, look back and realise, I can actually remember most of it this year, gonna be a long wait till Sept though!!

As usual I'm on my first coffee of the morning!!

Let's do this!!
Old 03-28-2014, 02:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Another sober weekend, not sure what the weekend will bring. I will not be drinking though, feels great to actually know I won't be.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Gooood morning weeeekenders!

Friday morning and I am working from home today waiting for a delivery of some bedroom furniture. It's just a headboard for a King size bed but it will add the finishing touches I was waiting for.

If I were still drinking I can tell you for sure that working from home would have been a disaster. An opportunity to drink from morning till night.

I started this job last October. Never missed a day. Never was fuzzy headed one day. Never had to lie one day. Woo hoo! I can look people in the eye and do what I love to do.

Good to see everyone!

Amanda! You can make it a full week! Stick around and check in here. I would like to help celebrate with you.

Coltybear and boobeary! Welcome!

Good to see our returning champs!

Ken
Old 03-28-2014, 03:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Have a good one weekenders!
Old 03-28-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Looks like I'm officially in the weekenders club.
Since I've been awake all night I'll probably sleep till noon or 5 PM
Last night I got my PhD. Did a lot of reading. And relined a fishing reel and sorted out my trout lures and have everything ready for opening day tomorrow.
Tonight I am heading down to the stream and hope to run into a group who drives up from the city to camp. I'll be prepared with my pouches of hot chocolate.
Fish Saturday without three or four beers in my vest for the first time ever.
Since it's going to rain, instead of raking the lawn and seeding, I have a ton of stuff to do in basement.
Sunday - fishing again of course. Continue with basement.
Have my birthday dinner with wifey Sunday evening. Fresh trout maybe.

I had an argument with the beast last night. Actually not an argument, more of a get the f out of my life, I can't hear you anymore. I had some sort of an epiphany last night. I woke up, I mean stayed up, energized beyond belief.
It's a great feeling.