View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ifnotforgrace
Recovered People Pleaser

While lillamy's point is well taken, I found it does get better. Once I was "out" of the bonds of marriage the power struggle (Him wanting to be the head of the family and me not wanting to take direction from someone under the influence) was over.

Also I was under less stress since he no longer had access to things (like my car) that he could destroy and I would be jointly liable for. His actions no longer held consequences for me personally so I did not have a vested interest in nagging him & I was no longer tense all the time. I became a more reasonable person since I was now getting proper rest and taking better care of myself.

So once the dust settled..my situation improved immensely. I also moved forward with my own program of recovery in Al-Anon, some yrs later got in a healthy relationship with a non-A (who is an ACOA- & therefore we understand the wounds alcoholism causes family members) and life is now drama free and wonderful.

If we are successful, we learn from our mistakes and life opens up for us and one thing about having been a "survivor" is you Never take the little stuff for granted the way you did before then encounter with the beast of alcoholism. So for me it not only got better..it got Great. It can for you too!