Old 03-24-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

Originally Posted by malcolmsloan View Post
All I can to is offer my experience and hope that others can gain insight from it. One very important aphorism/insight I learned here is to, when looking at other problem drinkers to look for similarities not differences. For me, I wasted years looking at people I knew who "had problems," and saying to myself, "I'm not like them, I have never_____, and I don't_____." But if I would have looked for parallels between my drinking and theirs, I would have seen that I was on the same path, true, at different point of the path, but I was there all right.

Also, I tried hard for years to get back to "enjoying" the occasional wild night. Did not work for me is all I can say. Sure, I went through spells where I would grind through some sobriety as I waited for the green light to let it rip, but, again, I was on the path, not headed in a good direction. Dang, I wasted so many years trying to find ways to drink.
Good luck, and I hope you find what's best for you. Keep an open mind as to what's "normal" and what's not.

YEP!!!!

I like the metaphor of an elevator.... looking at the stories of the people we're NOT LIKE, we can often see parts of their story we ARE LIKE.

And we picture an elevator, we can think of it going down... down... down...

first floor; blackouts
second floor; arguments over our alcohol use with family / friends
third floor; DUI
fourth floor; tried to quit but couldnt
fifth through 13th floor... continued to try to quit but couldn't
14th floor; lost job

etc. etc. etc...

How far down the shaft to the ROCK HARD BOTTOM we go, is up to us. We can get out and change to the GOING UP elevator of sobriety any time we grasp the true desire to do so...

And then we can start riding that UP elevator to glorious new heights...