View Single Post
Old 02-25-2005, 09:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
progress

Originally Posted by woodchip
...WILL someone tell me why we trade one addiction for YET another. what void are we filling.???
Geez, is that ever the $64,000 question! What is so puzzling to me is why some addictions and compulsions simply went away, but alcohol has always been the one that's toughest for me. At least I am far too cheap to succumb to compulsive gambling, lol. Seriously, though, I am grateful that gambling has never been an issue for me.

To tell my life story, I am a walking psychology textbook: bulimia, smoking dope, abusive relationships, alcohol abuse. With the exception of alcohol, I was able to overcome all of those with varying degrees of difficulty. In all honesty, though, if they sold Vicodin at the local Safeway, I would probably abuse that too.

It is so reassuring to hear others' thoughts and experiences and know that I'm not crazy or a bad person. I am still struggling with putting together more than a few days at a time. At least I am still blackout-free for 19 days now, but last night was the worst slip I've had since then. Today I need to take my own advice and "pick myself up, dust myself off, and start over again." Even though I fail some days, I still want to change. I have not given up on myself. Thanks for being here everyone.