Thread: Gratitude
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kindeyes

Gratitude

A few years ago, I read a book by Melody Beattie called "Making Miracles in 40 Days: Turning What you Have Into What You Want." It literally changed my life. It was a miracle.

The concept of the book is to write a gratitude list daily. Five things that you are grateful for and share it with someone else......a gratitude buddy if you will. Me and my gratitude buddy both read the book first and then began writing emails each morning to each other sharing our gratitude list.

We did this......for more than 40 days because it was......miraculous.

It didn't change the situation with my son....But it made such a significant impact on my psyche, my attitude, it lessened frustrations, it made life "easier", and it helped me let go of resentments. It changed me.

If I could name two things that really made a difference in my attitude toward my son's addiction....and toward my life in general.....those two things would be gratitude and acceptance.

Today I am grateful........and rather than concentrate on what frustrates me, causes me pain, or makes me feel resentful, or how hard life can be, I focus on all that I have to be grateful for.....and life is much better all the way around.

gentle hugs
ke