Gratitude

Old 03-22-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gratitude

A few years ago, I read a book by Melody Beattie called "Making Miracles in 40 Days: Turning What you Have Into What You Want." It literally changed my life. It was a miracle.

The concept of the book is to write a gratitude list daily. Five things that you are grateful for and share it with someone else......a gratitude buddy if you will. Me and my gratitude buddy both read the book first and then began writing emails each morning to each other sharing our gratitude list.

We did this......for more than 40 days because it was......miraculous.

It didn't change the situation with my son....But it made such a significant impact on my psyche, my attitude, it lessened frustrations, it made life "easier", and it helped me let go of resentments. It changed me.

If I could name two things that really made a difference in my attitude toward my son's addiction....and toward my life in general.....those two things would be gratitude and acceptance.

Today I am grateful........and rather than concentrate on what frustrates me, causes me pain, or makes me feel resentful, or how hard life can be, I focus on all that I have to be grateful for.....and life is much better all the way around.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 03-22-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for the book recommendation. Most days I try to be thankful... and I think I need that push. I will be looking for a gratitude partner. Thank you!!
Old 03-22-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I'm getting it on Amazon tonight. I need a bit of gratitude.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

KeepinItReal.. i could be your buddy... i havent got that book by MB (and pennies are tight at the minute so will have to wait to buy it).. but if it's a "simple" as thinking of 5 good things a day (and most days i bet ill struggle to come up with ONE never mind 5) then maybe its what i need to push me out of this "numb" state im in.

And being accountable to someone else may help me stay connected, as i have a tendency to disconnect, especially when im heading down that rabbit hole or board that crazy train @_@
Old 03-22-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I haven't read the book either but will look for it, Kindeyes. I love the concept and I already do try to remind myself of the many blessings in my life each day.

When I let my attitude be gratitude I am already in a good place to face whatever the day brings.

Hugs
Old 03-22-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Just bought the book and I have a friend in mind too. Will keep you updated. Thank you.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

LostHope - I would be your buddy. I was able to buy a copy with shipping on amazon for under $5.

Let me know when you get the book LostHope and I can and would be your buddy!!
Old 03-22-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

urgh im in the uk .. so its way more expensive over here.. ill try and sneak some pennies away for the kindle version
Old 03-22-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I started writing a gratitude list 343 days ago today to be exact! I write my list in a journal each night and take a picture of it and send it to my miracle buddy. It has helped me tremendously to focus and pay attention to all that is good in my life. There is so much to be thankful for. Some nights I'll sit down thinking "I've got nothing" and then lickity split I'm done!!

I actually think you had mentioned this before kindeyes and I ran straight out and bought the book, asked someone I had just met at al-anon if she'd be my buddy and have been going strong since! I thank you for sharing this again because I believe it is one of the things that has helped me the most.

So...#1...today I am grateful for all the people I get to walk this path with.

(That's you....and you...and you....oh and definitely YOU!!)
Old 03-22-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow...I'm so amazed that you are all buying the book and asking for gratitude buddies, etc. I hope it brings the miracle to you that it did to me. And to Lizwig, yes.......I mention this periodically for new people who come here who are so hurt and in such anguish. It was one of the first things I did that helped me tremendously and I like to share the tools that I have used to find my own place of peace.

May you all find something to be grateful for everyday......and find peace as well.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 03-22-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What a beautiful idea!!