View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Climber122

Hi 1newcreation,

Of course your experience may vary but for me Step 3 is about surrender - surrender of my old life of control - or trying to control. It's about accepting that whatever I'm facing, however bad things get, that there's a reason. Failure is okay. So is being lonely, or afraid - it's all part of being human, and I don't have to drink to try and change what's a normal part of life. I accept it all.

In Step 3 I also accept that there is a Power in the universe running things and I'm not it. It's knowing that my struggles may not even matter in the grand scheme of things - perhaps my struggle will be a help to someone down the line, or already helped someone unbeknownst to me. Ultimately, to work the step means to simply make a decision to ask my Higher Power to use me, and then leave it at that. In my life that decision has resulted in avenues that have opened to me to be of service to others that I could never imagined would be so fulfilling.

I did my Step 3 on my knees, saying the third step prayer. It didn't take long to say but it took a couple years getting to that point where I really wanted to say it! I'm not a member of any one denomination of any religion, but I did do my 3rd step alone in a Catholic church and I can tell you it was one of the most powerful moments of my life.

I still start my day with the Lord's prayer, the Serenity Prayer and the Third Step Prayer, on my knees. I thought it was dumb at first and it certainly felt foolish, but then I realized that was pride making excuses and that going on my feelings had gotten me into some pretty confusing places in the past. I figured it was best to turn it over and just do the step without questioning it - "quit the debating club" as they say. After all why shouldn't I be on my knees when thanking this Power for getting me through yesterday sober and in asking for a sober day today? That's a freakin' miracle my friend!

I was told to just say the prayers regardless of how they felt. Even today my mind will wander at times, and sometimes I'm just saying words, but that doesn't seem to matter. I'm sober today and if I start feeling edgy I don't feel compelled to drink, but I know I need to work on getting back to simple spiritual practice.

The 3rd step was a big deal for me and the most spiritual moment of my recovery because my biggest problem was control, so the third cut the heart right out of that, and I just stood amazed at how such a simple act could so profoundly affect the course of my life. Hope it helps you sort out the way you want to go.

In case you haven't seen the third step prayer, it goes:

"God, I offer myself to Thee To build with me & to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy love & Thy way of life. May I do Thy will always."