Old 03-20-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Vanessa, my thought are to not forget that he is an addict and addicts will steal from loved ones...including children. The person we loved before addiction would not, but most of us here have had our bank cards compromised, family heirloom jewelery pawned, checks taken from checkbooks and cashed and even a child's Ipod stolen and pawned...if I can offer one piece of advice if you choose to continue a relationship with this man, it is to lock up your valuables some place he would never ever think to look. Sadly, I slept with my purse under my pillow for years when my son lived with us.

If you want to know the reality of your situation just start reading. Read the sticky posts at the top of this forum and read posts made by people just like you who have been where you are and you will see what may lay ahead for you with this relationship. These are real situations with real people, not a movie that guarantees happy ever after...oh, how I wish it did.

Then decide if this is the life you want to live. Most of us found we couldn't beg them into recovery, we couldn't cheer them into recovery, we couldn't cry, maniplulate, threaten or shame them into recovery. They find recovery when the pain of using becomes greater than the fear of stopping.

Hugs