Old 03-19-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Lily1918

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
Lily,

Have you ever heard of PICS? Post Incarceration Syndrome.
yes. and I'm concerned about it. My brother is a veteran, and he came home from the war a raging alcoholic with major PTSD issues. He is in recovery now. he recently sent me an article about PICS, and believes AH will have similar struggles.

I think the Salvation Army would be a good place for him to go back to go the first 6 months after incarceration, but I'm not sure if he will appreciate that suggestion.

I've lived with PTSD in my family and I'm not so sure I want to welcome a PICS (post incarceration syndrome) sufferer into my home without being stabilized first. throw the drug use away ( radical thinking, I know) I'm worried about behaviors like mood swings, the triggers of family life, the train going by and him panicking...

I want stability to remain in my life. I am worried about PICS more than relapse because relapse = if/ when and my boundaries are easier laid there. PICS will be there the moment he walk out the gate. no matter what. I have to accept that and decide if I will or will not accept it in my house. how could he not have it after 30 months!?!? not a very long time... but enough to become institutionalized for sure.

thank you everyone for all of your support as I vent these thoughts
hugs,
lily