Old 03-19-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Pipefish

From what you've described, sounds like they were treating everyone present as second rate human beings. More fool the people who hang around them on a regular basis.

I really identify too with your "have some advil comment." For me though, this would be born out of people-pleasing, fear, and wanting desperately to make an uncomfortable situation better (for not only do I have power, taking responsibility for that has been my job here on earth ). I have genuinely made myself cringe with behaviour like this in the past - someone else being a complete knob = my job to put it right. Whatever else my job may be, that isn't it. And what I actually wanted to do was go as far away as I possibly could from the whole situation, which is what I'm far more likely to do now. Part of that is, and has been, learning to use my intuition and not even venture down roads that feel familiarly uncomfortable from the get go. They're not really growth situations - they're just pain and discomfort for no gain.

The problem comes I think when the situations aren't optional - as you say 'sometimes people treat me like this' can be a valuable insight into my own conduct around others. A friend and I were talking a few weeks back about comments people make, that we both felt they were unlikely to make with people with a little more inner steel. And that was a valuable insight too, and reminded me of the (possibly over-used) quote from Eleanor Roosevelt that "nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent" That inner steel is a really important part of not walking away from situations feeling on the back foot, and it's an under used muscle, but it's getting bigger.

Of the voice in your head telling you 'these people are out of your league" would only say I wouldn't want to be in the league they belong to and they compete on terms I have no interest in. They sound unpleasant, and it really pays to be discerning about the company you keep. Being discerning about who I spend time with is crucial for my peace of mind, and time is after all a precious and limited resource, and is far better spent on people, places and things that are good for the soul. Where I have choice, that's what I choose.

Part of my recovery is learning, and reflecting on when I do and don't do any of the above, and why it may have been in any given situation, that this = didn't go in front of an interaction I had with someone. It's all valuable information.

And go Raider....absolutely spot on. Hope lunch today was more enjoyable

Best to you