View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Early in recovery, about the time I stopped "stuffing" feelings and started feeling again...I had to break things down into "doable" pieces. I spent an hour in the morning reading and praying and starting my day with recovery thoughts and reminders.

Then I committed to living my recovery through the day. I had my own accounting practice at the time and sometimes I would take a walk when I didn't have clients, just to clear my head and get back on track.

Evenings I either went to a meeting or read my stepwork (I had a wonderful sponsor who gave me "homework" each week, lol) but again, put a time limit on it so I could have some quality "me" time as well.

I guess the short version of all this is that I found a great program, for me it was CoDA, I got a wonderful sponsor, and I learned to work 12 little steps that literally saved my life and that continue to guide my life today. I chose her at my meeting because I wanted what she had...and am grateful she was willing to share it.

It's natural to feel raw early in recovery, the more recovery tools you acquire, the stronger you will become.

Only you can decide what it best for you, but I know that for me it was to surround myself with people whose recovery I admired, much like SR but at meetings. One codie helping another...this is an awesome way to find balance and heal.

Hugs