View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FeelingGreat
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi can I call you Siri for short? I could feel you becoming much more aware of your situation as you told your story, and I hope this has caused you to step back and see a clear path for yourself.
There is no question that for your own physical safety you must remove yourself permanently from this relationship. It's common for victims of DV to be so caught up in survival mode that they can't take the obvious actions to protect themselves.
One huge plus is that the abuse isn't a secret, so you'll have lots of support from your family. I second the previous posters who have urged you to call a DV helpline for expert advice. This may involve getting a restraining order against your AH to stop him contacting you in any way, and attempting to intimidate you. Once you have an order in place the police can remove him without other reasons. This is an important step because it's very possible he'll try to lure you back with promises of reform, tell you he loves you, can't live without you and so on.
How he copes once you're gone is not your problem. You must concentrate on your own recovery, tackling your debts and re-building your life.
I know it's easy for me to say, but you sound as if you're ready to take action now, and I hope you find the courage. All the best.