View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
LadyinBC
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
I don't think any amount of shaming can stop me if I want a drink. No rewards or consequences can get in my way. I'm sorry. Maybe it will work for you and yours. But not for this A.
I totally agree. I didn't care about the negative consequences when I was drinking. I'm sure I used them as an excuse just to drink more. In my mind drinking was a reward!

At the end of the day I had to WANT sobriety. And be willing to do ANYTHING to stay that way. If you are not in that mind frame, no matter how good a program is, if I don't want to quit, I'm not going to.

However, this might work for some, if the alcoholic/addict is ready. I don't totally like to discount a program I have never tried. I do believe in keeping an open mind. There are some things you probably can take from this progam that might work for you. I myself do 3 different programs and there are things about them I disagree with but I am not going to let those things stop me from learning and doing the things that are positive for ME.

That really is the key you have to find what works for you and what makes you feel positive.

As for this:

Originally Posted by 9111111 View Post
The idea that F&F can "influence" recovery by positive and negative rewards triggered feelings of guilt and shame in me - did I give up to soon, haven't I done enough?
Take those feelings of shame and guilt and flush them down the toilet. You most likely have put up with enough. Don't take this on too.