Thread: Wife of a HFA
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Praying

Not knowing much about your journey, I'd like to say WELCOME! You'll find lots of help here.

What people say is true. It is a progressive disease. I thought mine would stay HF forever, that he was a "better" alcoholic than others. Ha ha...that was foolish of me. It's all one disease. If you posted here, then in some way you're concerned, or something is bothering you. And you're not crazy for feeling it.

For many years I stifled that feeling because he could down first one glass, then in later years glass after glass of hard liquor each night, then be at the gym and to work before I even felt like getting out of bed. How could there be a real problem? I felt stupid trying to call it out, because other than the consumption, where was the proof? And when I tried to discuss it he'd point to the fact that he never had issues getting to work, etc. I'd have even felt ridiculous posting on this board. No...I'm not like these people whose posts I read. (I should have posted, by the way. It would have really helped me.)

It felt like everything with alcoholism, and all the literature I could find, was geared at someone other than who I was living with. It fueled denial for both of us. Eventually he admitted HFA, but the HF part meant it wasn't "real" and didn't need help--it was under control.

For me, in hindsight, the "proof" of it being a problem was in his deteriorating attitude toward me as time passed, his addiction secretly worsened, and his guilt, secrets, and shame grew. It was slow and subtle, and I didn't know it for a long time...probably until he wasn't really HF anymore.

One book I found particularly helpful during that time was "Understanding the High Functioning Alcoholic" by Sarah Allen Benton. It's the only place I felt someone truly understood the HF aspect, yet coupled it with warnings of what's to come if you don't act. (I still didn't truly believe the warnings, but I can tell you that in my case, the deterioration, once it started to crumble, was FAST. Some people can avert that before it happens through honest work on it, but it's a serious commitment.)

As others have said, read, read, read. This is a progressive disease. The HF years are like one or two acts in the entire play. Actions (his and yours) determine the endings from here. Reading and learning will help you figure out what to do.

Take care of yourself. This is a great community if you choose to keep posting. Hugs.