View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by karate View Post
Can't keep a sober string going .

Damn it .

Does life suck so bad we can't face it sober ?
Mine does not .

But still drink , don't understand it .
Staying sober is not about life sucking or not, imo. Life can suck either way drunk or sober it seems to me anyways. What is for sure is life sucked for me when drinking and being drunk because it was impossible for me to understand how something so good could hurt so bad. As a drinking alcoholic, alcohol just kept giving me less and less back and taking more and more out of me. That of course sucked. Before my last quit, sobriety looked to me like a stupid alternative to being drunk. I completely wanted all the good feelings that came with drinking and none of the bad - how dumb was I?, lol. Dumb enough to keep trying for different results while doing the same thing. Crazy times. Most of us guys have seen a dog lick up his own vomit. Trying to understand what that dog was doing makes as much sense as my trying to understand why moderation in drinking doesn't suck for air. I went back to my drunken drinking just like that dog. A couple of beer? I don't think so. Never enough. I just refused to see I was moderating nothing. I was really just playing with fire thinking I had something to moderate, lol. I had shitt. Nowadays, the only satisfaction I get out of being alcoholic is in not drinking anymore. Quitting has satisfied me on more levels in more ways than drinking ever did, and that's saying a lot because back in my day drinking was worth dying for, and I almost got to where I was headed. I quit for good though at the very end (its always at the end of course, lol) and how awesome is that?

I suggest quitting works best when we stay quit. We can howl at the moon as much as we want about this, that, and the other thing, and when our echoes fade into the night all we have is what we got. When it comes to alcohol, less is more and none is best.

You'll quit eventually, Karate. Change up your game, move the goal posts, make new rules, whatever it takes.