View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SarahMaybe

First time seeking support

Hi All,

Over the past four months I have increased my awareness of the harm alcohol and drugs were causing. Even if I drank one drink I would feel crippling anxiety and depression. I wouldn't be able to sleep and I would be hungover the next morning. Because of the many negative effects, I have somewhat successfully decreased my consumption. Until last night, I had not had a drink in 27 days. I was feeling so good about my decisions and about life in general. One problem, however, was the self-inflicted isolation. The reason I abstained for so long is because I declined any social invitation.

Last night, I decided to go out for a friend's birthday. I decided I would only have a few drinks. I ended up having four drinks, a fraction of what I would typically drink. I feel awful today. I don't think I slept an hour last night and feel sick and hungover today. Worst of all, I am feeling very low and having strong depression and anxiety symptoms. I know this will pass. If anything, it is only encouraging me to get back on the wagon with even greater motivation.

My question to you all is this: how do you deal with social isolation, especially in the beginning of recovery? I have never learned to connect with others without alcohol or drugs. I am afraid to try. I am even more afraid of giving into drinking the next time I try.

Any thoughts??