View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
callmemilly

writing about the struggle

So it’s Saturday morning and I’m struggling just wanting to get some alcohol. It helps me to write, to get it out, because at least then I can put out in front of me all the thoughts underneath urging me to drink.

It has taken me a long time to admit I’m dependent, and have a problem that could get worse if I don’t get it in hand. I do feel addicted. It’s taken a long time for me to say that or come close to saying it. Kept trying to figure out what everyone else thought.

So I have a therapist, and she is away for a couple of weeks, and it’s a long weekend for me in Canada, and typically a prime time to drink. I don’t honestly know if I can make it through today. But I guess that’s a cop out because as soon as I start thinking that, I’m actually considering drinking and over the course of the day the thought will just wear away at me. If I’m honest, I’m thinking about a compromise and just getting a couple drinks. Telling myself that is good enough because I’m resisting drinking a lot. But it’s no good because a ‘couple’ for me actually means quite a bit.

I hope it’s okay for me to post on this forum. I’ve read it off and on for a year, and it has been a real long process for me to acknowledge myself there is a problem. I’m still struggling with naming it, defining it for myself and what it means to me, and I hope that’s okay too. I’m also struggling tremendously with my commitment to not drinking. I’m incredibly ambivalent. But I do think I have made some progress slowly over time, in baby steps.

I feel helpless over it. I want to believe that I’m helpless and to say to everyone that I’m helpless to control it because I want it so bad. But I know- if I make a solid plan for the day, go out at some point for a few hours, don’t come back home til early evening, commit here on that thread, it would help and I could do it. But like I said. Ambivalent.