View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

You know what, I've not tried to fill the void alcoholism created in me, this void still exists today in many ways, and will continue right up to my physical death I imagine. Its important for me to realise the damage done, and the void keeps me in touch with all that. I'm a recovered alcoholic drug addict, and its not like I'm holding on, or holding back, its just that my alcoholism illness is not cured. In this way it yet exists. In fact, there is only one thing I know of that can fill the alcoholic void perfectly and that is alcohol itself. I know I'm talking different then most others, and I'm used to all that, lol.

We're not all alcoholics. And we're not all recovered. Many persons get on fine just quitting and changing their behaviors and what-not. Other persons confirm they are alcoholic and they choose to stay in a formal recovery for the rest of their lives with that void filled spiritually or elseways. No problem. Me, I'm recovered from my alcoholism which means I now live a life which could be lived as if alcoholism never happened to me. How nifty, lol. Still though, it did happen, and the holes it left are what they are, and having the humility to accept what I cannot change is worth more to me then trying to figure out how to fill those bottomless abysses.

In most regards I would be considered a success story, and in fact my backstory only makes my success even more remarkable. I'm proud and grateful I've come from my yesterdays and arrived in my todays and I look forward with excitement to my tomorrows. Life is what we make out of it, and in all cases without exception imo what we do with what we got is what brings out our best. I am a spiritual person, and in fact my alcoholism only makes me even more spiritually minded even though I don't seek to fill it or otherwise walk away from its existence. As a recovered alcoholic I'm an agnostic in my sobriety, and as a man I'm Christian in my faith. I walk my journey with alcoholism well arrested in my sober psyche and physical body. My alcoholic mind is asleep and powered down. Life empowers me in ways that sustain me and my dreams really do and have come true. Not without cost though, like I was saying. I'm now in a wheelchair and crutches not directly from alcoholism, and yet alcoholism absolutely helped put me in this chair. I have a somewhat uncommon backstory. Its complicated, lol.

Hey, whatever works for you is what you must put everything you got into your new life because a lot of people just settle too early, and in doing so they miss out on a whole other adventure just around the proverbial corner.