View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
cynical one
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Unfortunately or once again it takes the death of a celeb to get the general public talking. The information provided is more of the same that has been around for years. And, once again with a “you people” need to get educated about addiction. And, “those people” who still stigmatize addiction. Followed by no real “these are the steps to take, this is the solution” so WE as a society can properly address the escalating epidemic.

While I strongly believe in the disease model, I’m not sure if labeling addiction as a “brain disease” and then following that with a statement saying that addicts are not able to help themselves is the right direction to go. I don’t know of a single addict that says “I have a brain disease”, but many that say “I am an addict”. And, “those people” that stigmatize addiction are the same people that stigmatize those with brain diseases such as Alzheimer’s or dementia as being incompetent.

I’m sure every family has had the serious “we are concerned and will do anything to help you” talk with their addicted loved one where treatment has been offered. Same with families who have a loved one with a mental illness. If change needs to come from outside sources by those who either do not have the disorder or have been successfully treated for the disorder, should families force treatment by having their addicted loved one declared incompetent and getting power of attorney like many families of Alzheimer’s patients do? Scary stuff, IMO.

“If someone can hold down a job, go about the activities of daily living, have friendships and loved ones, and display empathy towards others before and during their lapses, meltdowns, relapses, et al.” Then are they not also able to make their own medical decisions, and rightfully so?