View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
BlueChair

Originally Posted by Chino View Post
BC, it's a dangerous line you straddle - for yourself - when you identify as a consequence and or reward for someone's disease. I don't know if that's what you meant but that's how I'm reading it.

The way I see it, you've been a part of the solution. When we're not able to be a part of the solution, that's when we have to remove ourselves so we don't become part of the problem.
What I meant was losing his decision making power, and having others make choices for him during that crisis was a consequence of his drug use.

At first I thought it was more as if he fell into a mine shaft and couldn’t get out. We rescued him and after his injuries healed then it would all be ok because it was an accident he fell in. This was before I learned . What I realize now is for months before this he had this compulsion to run up and down that mine shaft risking his life each time. This last time he got trapped and couldn’t get out. We got him out of there but now he has the hard work to learn why he had to run from life and go underground to that mind shaft as an escape day after day. No one can answer that but him, and he has to learn what to do when he feels like running again, and how to live his life so he is happy and secure on ground level. We were only part of the solution, not the solution. He has to do it on his own, and I must believe he can.

I liked the way you posed the question, it relates back to the thread I made on control and not assuming to know how another person is thinking, based on our own experiences.

I also agree sometimes people cant be part of the solution, but it’s a fine line knowing when its possible, or when its too dangerous to go down into the mine shafts for our own safety. I know some people barely make it out themselves.

I had to take a break thinking about that house and time is all too fresh, but it helps me to think rationally about it, because I don’t want those feelings to have power over me anymore.