Old 02-10-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
MidnightBlue
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Originally Posted by Riel View Post
Potato wedges and bread and cheese...

Just a thought, Midnight, but have you tried changing your diet?

Wheat has gliadin-derived opiates which can lead to craving, binge eating, and withdrawal symptoms, cheese has casomorphins which are similar to morphine and also addictive, though probably not as bad as wheat, and potatoes spike blood sugar which can cause food cravings.

One of the things that makes AVRT more difficult to use with eating disorders than other addictions is that you still have to eat, but it might be easier if you avoided foods that compounded the problem.
Thanks for response, Riel.

None of these, actually, is my regular food of choice. I mostly stick to quite healthy nutrition. But when I start a binge, my thinking goes somewhat like "What the heck - I've screwed up anyway, so I'll buy myself something I like".

I've never heard about morphine in cheese. I understand that carbs and bread and potatoes provoke spikes of insuline and cause food cravings. But people have been eating bread and potato since B.C. and no necessarily were suffering from food disorders, I think.

Anyway, you are right that it's better to stay away from some food, at least for some time.

And it's surely more challenging to use AVRT about food, because as you've reasonably noted, you have to eat.

But I am a stubborn girl)