View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
caboblanco

Originally Posted by freethinking View Post
Hmm, I look at it differently I guess. I think I read somewhere (maybe Under The Influence) that different countries/nationalities were introduced to alcohol during different time periods. The newest ones introduced tended to have higher rates of alcoholism because natural selection hadn't sufficiently taken place (to weed out the alcoholics) yet due to is still being relatively "new". So I think it's only fitting that these countries are the ones who try to promote their belief system on this...because their problem is more prevalent and there is a higher need for it. The other countries, where alcohol has been around for much longer (and don't have as many alcohlics due to natural selection), don't have as much of a need for a mainstream program like we do.

Take it easy on me if you're going to tear what I said apart. This is just a vague recollection of something I read in UTI. I could have it all mixed up as this was over 5 years ago I read that book.
The US promotes their recovery culture on countries like Italy where the drinking age is 16 and it's legal to let minors drink with adult supervision. They have a much lower binge drinking and alcoholism rate then us. The

culture is different. They don't see alcohol as a highly dangerous poison. That is cultural based. Its not genetics. There are plenty of Italian American alcoholics. They had to move to this country to get a higher abuse rate.