View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ruby2

No one understands what it is like except a bunch of alcoholics so you have found the right place to be.

I was the same way. Paranoid that someone at work would smell the alcohol on me even when I wasn't drunk. Closing myself in my office. Avoiding interaction. Someone did smell the alcohol on me and reported it to one of my supervisors who sat me down for a talk. That was the first time I did treatment. I kept my job but didn't stay sober.

And it got worse. Eventually I lost the position I was in. I wasn't fired, I was transferred to a less desirable position because I was not doing a very good job very well. I kept drinking, and in this new position I could come home for lunch sometimes and did - to drink more. No one confronted me again but I had lost the respect of others and I didn't respect myself.

I went to inpatient treatment. I stayed sober for 10.5 months, relapsed for three months and am back with almost three months now. Fits and starts to getting sober. It is hard but worth it. I am really lucky I've not been fired. But since stopping all areas of my life have gotten better.

Good luck. I feel for you. Coming here is a great place to start.