View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Woodman123

GPB- so sorry your starting down the path many of us here know all too well. First off, thanks for coming to SR- you will find a wealth of experience, support and good guidance from many here.

Now as to your situation. SO very much like my path nearly 4 years ago (although I've been married much longer and have kids). It starts with the promises of quitting and/or minimizing the extent of problem. Take it from me (and others), this is a ONE way street to hell if she doesn't get help and commit to a program. While working on the marriage, addressing issues of potential boredom are not unimportant, this will NOT fix an alcoholic, because YOU did not cause this. After several months, she likely needs detox to get off the booze, and follow-up rehab. However, realize many folks will not go willingly to this step without hitting bottom, wherever that is for them. Even then, it may take a family intervention to set the ultimatum for her to go.

You need to set absolute boundaries now (can learn more about this at al-anon and on this site)- and boundaries are things that YOU control. So nothing like "You can't drink in the house anymore" (you can;t control that)... more along the lines of "If you drink in the house again, I will seek divorce".

You are smart to be seeking help now. Don't kid yourself- this will only get worse. She may not be a mean drunk now, but it WILL escalate unless she commits to sobriety and getting help. I don;t know how long you've been married, but as DoubleBarrell said, knowing what I know now I'm not sure I would have continued my marriage. And, you do NOT want to bring kids into this mess.

Take care GPB, and check back often. Wishing you peace and health.