Thread: Making friends
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
jdooner

My wife has a point and I understand it. Our kids go to a fairly exclusive private school. The process to get in is nothing shy of a prostate exam. Part of acceptance is being part of a community and there is a social aspect to this. God forbid we become "those" people that can't drink. I think part of this is a fear my wife has and I believe this is legitimate and founded. The other aspect is reaching out to new people. I grew up with this kid in grade school but he went off to private school and I did not. He knew I was a big skier and they want to be friendly and are interested in getting together up in the mountains - they too are looking at a ski house in the same town and were thrilled to here we are too from a social perspective. I have said nothing about the drinking. I don't even know if he drinks but he owns a whiskey company, so I am guessing he at least does socially.

I have a tendency to be open about what I am going through and my wife is much more guarded. I feel like others can't touch me now bc of my success (perhaps ego here) and so why be ashamed of things I have done that have made me who I am. That said, I need to keep myself in check so I don't let my wife and kids get caught in the collateral damage, as they could be ostracized by my actions.

I think my wife's concerns are reinforced by your responses so thank you.