View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 09:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SillyString

I think one of the biggest concepts to come to grips with is that if drinking is a problem for you, that moderation will not work. The first time I seriously quit in 2010, I quit for 4 months. But, somewhere in the back of my mind, I thought someday I could magically drink again like a normal person, or "reset" the clock and get a do over by abstaining for a period of time. In my experience that just does not work.

I too lied about drinking, and hid the evidence. But, I knew, which made me feel hopeless and awful, and ultimately fed into the desire to drink to escape. I was just circling the drain.
I am only on day 18 this time, but I am focusing on how truly great it feels to wake up without a hangover. How great it feels to remember every conversation, and not be sneaking around and lying. I think my other mistake the first time was "white knuckling" it...not drinking, but wanting to every second. This time feels different, as I don't feel that I'm missing something, but rather, truly gaining a LOT.

Many have been helped by AA, but be aware that there are many other alternative programs to AA as well. Also, some people do just quit on their own. So there are many options, and no one right way.

I wish you all the best on your path!