Notices

looking for advice

Old 01-29-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

looking for advice

I am a heavy drinker looking to stop, I haven't drunken in 3 days, side affects haven't been bad, but I know my brain will tell me I can have just a little in a few days, I don't get the shakes or twitches. I have been getting worse, my wife threatened to leave so I told her I quit, and I was hiding bottles, getting drunk and hiding it, I have friends believing I quit too, so I have seen that I can socially do it. I am so sick of it. I need some advise how to get through the mental addiction, Thank god I don't think I have gotten any physical signs yet, but will keep updated if I get them. If I have gone a few days with no Physical signs, can they come later? I have done research and know I will have my struggles, but I am ready. Thank you for any advice
Old 01-29-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your desire to stop and 3 days! Have you ever been to an AA meeting? I would urge you to go. I had stopped drinking for 6+ yrs after getting 2 dwi's. I quit because of fear. I never attended any meetings, never read a word about alcoholism, and ended up relapsing after all that time.

During my relapse I got another dui and a drug charge. I've been court ordered to go to 3 meetings a week. BEST THING that EVER happened to me. I cannot say enough about the program. IT WORKS. I've been sober for 6 months, and am working the steps. I am happier than I've ever been. My happiness isn't dependent on what's going on around me, it's from within. If I can do it, so can you- and anyone else!

Here's a link to get a free online copy of the book of AA, start there. I can't post the link because Im new on this board, but just do a google search on 'free online aa big book'

Again, congratulations and I wish you future success on your journey in sobriety.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome sweetums

I think most of us were starting to feel ok by day 4...but none of us are Drs...if you are concerned its best to see a Dr

D
Old 01-29-2014, 09:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think one of the biggest concepts to come to grips with is that if drinking is a problem for you, that moderation will not work. The first time I seriously quit in 2010, I quit for 4 months. But, somewhere in the back of my mind, I thought someday I could magically drink again like a normal person, or "reset" the clock and get a do over by abstaining for a period of time. In my experience that just does not work.

I too lied about drinking, and hid the evidence. But, I knew, which made me feel hopeless and awful, and ultimately fed into the desire to drink to escape. I was just circling the drain.
I am only on day 18 this time, but I am focusing on how truly great it feels to wake up without a hangover. How great it feels to remember every conversation, and not be sneaking around and lying. I think my other mistake the first time was "white knuckling" it...not drinking, but wanting to every second. This time feels different, as I don't feel that I'm missing something, but rather, truly gaining a LOT.

Many have been helped by AA, but be aware that there are many other alternative programs to AA as well. Also, some people do just quit on their own. So there are many options, and no one right way.

I wish you all the best on your path!
Old 01-29-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you,
My only problem with AA is that I live in a small town where people like to gossip
Old 01-30-2014, 03:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think you've made a good start just by coming to this site. Read through the posts here. Listen to the stories. See what happens in other people's lives, what they go through, how they cope and change. The more you know about the addiction the better prepared you are to figure out your own way of dealing with it. For some, that's AA. For others, it's Smart Recovery. Or out-patient programs. No one has THE answer for how to help you, but help is there and you can find it. I wish you luck on your journey. It's hard, I know, but in the end, it will save your life...
Old 01-30-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

small town, big town, medium town- it doesnt matter the size, people gossip.
wouldn't it be better that people would be talkin about ya doin something about yer drinkin problem rather than what ya do when yer drunk?
Old 01-30-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetums View Post
Thank you,
My only problem with AA is that I live in a small town where people like to gossip
Hi and welcome. This is the fear of many. In response do these people gossip about people who end the day arrested for DUI, auto accidents, killing or maiming others as a result of drinking, parking on the neighbors lawn overnight, job loss for drinking, child abuse and on and on.
To me good gossip is good once it has some merit.

BE WELL
Old 01-30-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all, I have been rethinking the AA thing, and may give it a try, I will also try to look for an out patient program. I live up in the boonies where everyone drinks and thought I would catch a lot of grief, but didn't, my friends and brothers on my FD have been supportive, but I still snuck it from them and my family. My worst enemy is that I am kind of good at hiding it, I have had blackouts and the next day everything is fine with my family, I am ready this time and I am going to do it. Thanks for the support