View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Oldselfagain

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I've ready on RR and AVRT on the web and also on the concepts that underpin it in a book on habits and how we form them - psychology calls it the 'reptilian' brain while RR refers as the 'beast brain'. There is good science in RR and AVRT. The reason I use the term 'extremist' is because of the way the proponents of RR attack other methods and tools in recovery. I disagree that AA makes one vulnerable to the AV's tricks or that the recovery movement fosters relapse or all the other claims that RR's advocates make. We have spent years, sometimes decades, wiring those forces of habit into our reptilian brains and practicing the various responses. Anyone who has relapsed in any form of recovery effort can give you examples of how they believed they were free of it, only to find themselves taken out again. RR claims that it is all a "simple, elegant" solution; just DECIDE and from then on, recognize that AV and keep on deciding..... Who among us cannot see the ridiculousness in that? To me - AVRT is a great tool. But so are AA meetings. So is honestly looking at my past and the ways in which, in my life, I have developed and fostered my AV's patterns of response. So is having a community of others around to remind me that I'm not alone in this. So is having stories of others' experiences to strengthen the "human brain me" in my resolve that I will change the habits of response. Our brains are complex and powerful and just as AVRT claims; will persevere in any possible way to return to those pleasurable habits the AV / pleasure center wants for its 'survival'. I just feel like RR does a disservice to the world by precluding the idea that AA or other programs can be used in conjunction with AVRT in very productive ways. I like what AVRT has to say about recognizing the AV and about understanding the interplay between the reptilian brain and the higher-reasoning brain..... but for me, I don't think that would be enough on its own. I've tried that sort of approch countless times in life and failed. Without community, without a sense of faith, without taking an honest look at the influences in my life that have supported my continued addiction - I really don't think I would be as far as I am today, nor be able to sustain sobriety in the future. So - I say 'extremist' because RR claims theirs is the only way and that other programs are wrong.
FreeOwl thx for that...I understand where you're coming from. I tried AA and it definitely wasn't for me. So I guess, as a result, I didn't take issue with RR's view of recovery groups. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with "hybrid" approaches to sobriety. My view isn't as black and white as AA and RR seem to be. I use RR, AVRT, hypnosis, and of course SR. That's what has been effective for me.....would I say that would work for everyone? Certainly not. AA works for many, RR works for many, sheer willpower works for some....to each their own. That being said, I think it's important to have an open mind in early recovery so that one can try different approaches if what they're using isn't working.