Thread: AA Birthdays
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 01:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
PohsFriend

I'm sorry you are dealing with that Hammer - FWIW I agree with those who said lying is no help.

As for the Chips... I know my wife sat there on what would have been her first birthday night after her lapse and she got more determined. When she finally got it I have to say it meant a great deal to her and lately with so many in her circle relapsing she's been extra focused on her program and I know the chip is something with deep personal meaning to her. She keeps it on her keychain and now and then she has a thought of drinking and she says that when she catches herself and starts thinking about the consequences and how much it sucked to reset the clock after 9 months without a sip and how many hours of meetings and steps and meditation it took to get that chip it gives her some strength.

Chips aren't the problem, your wife isn't the problem, you aren't the problem. The problem is that alcoholism can draw out the worst parts of the best people. It sucks.

Funny thing when my wife lapsed. She was completely miserable with guilt and shame for those few sips - didn't even get drunk thank goodness but her sponsor offered to go grab her a new 24 chip and bring it back to their seat but nope, she got up, walked to the front with her head up and let 50 people think whatever they thought watching her and that big pregnant belly go get the chip and I'm sure there were a few judgments and more than a little humiliation going on.

I try to imagine what kind of pull could have done that to her and realize it's inexplicable. I'm sure there are many who would be appalled as I was and thank God the little guy was fine but if anyone thinks that 'first sip' is just about weakness and choice just ask yourself this: If you had failed 9 months in and were 6 months pregnant, would you let someone discreetly get you a new chip or would you walk up there and get it? Me? I'm nowhere near that brave. It's easy to say that you would not have needed to get a new chip but that's a cop out. Seriously think about that one... could you let all of your friends and supporters and strangers know that you messed up? I wish I was that tough but nope, the shame and humiliation would be too much. She went back to it and stuck with it and today we think maybe that small lapse saved her life. We both assumed she was safe til the baby came and THEN the battle would start for her to stay sober and we were wrong - she never assumes she is safe now and works her program like a fulltime job.

I bawled like a little kid the night she got her chip. It's got no real value but it represents something enormous to her and to me.

Hang in there Hammer, for her sake I hope she decides to start over and get it off her conscience.