View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 11:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
honeypig

Originally Posted by Rijjer View Post
I'll definitely go back next Monday. I'll just take it week by week and do what I need to do to find some peace.
This is the main thing!

When I first started, I went to 3 different meetings each week. I shoot for 2 a week now. If you have more than one meeting that's near you, you might find a lot of benefit in attending each of them a couple of times and finding the one that's the best fit for you, or deciding that there is more than one that you want to attend regularly.

The flavor of various meetings can be quite different from each other. I've attended Buddhist-based meetings, one that used the AA Big Book, one that works from "Pathways to Recovery", and many that just follow a format each month of step, topic, tradition and open depending on the week of the month. Some meetings are large, 50 people or more, while others are smaller like the one you went to. Daytime meetings such as I've attended lately tend to be retired folks mixed w/a few who work odd shifts or are stay-at-home parents. Evening and weekend meetings are more of a cross section of people.

Anyway, glad you made it and found some benefit there--that first meeting is definitely the hardest! Like they say, keep coming back.