View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
allforcnm

I don't think it is ever wrong to encourage treatment. Never ever... addiction causes a progressive disease of the brain. Until it is stopped, all it does it continue to alter the reality of the addict - they get to a point where they actually think the need for drugs is equal to the need for air or water. They cannot imagine life without it. They cant imagine how they can stop using and survive. So the denial of the problem, and not being sure he wants to go to the clinic are classic fear IMO.

Obviously if he doenst want to stop he wont. Even if he goes on suboxone he can stop taking it if he decides to. So it does require a commitment to change. Personally I would always suggest therapy with medication. Therapy is where you can look for the root cause of the addictions, heal past traumas, learn about addiction, and learn techniques/behavior modification that help prevent relapse.

Lot of therapists also work on a sliding scale if you don't have insurance.

If you are looking for support I would also suggest talking to a therapist yourself. Especially look for one that is trained in addiction medicine.

My husband was addicted to pain meds, coke, Xanax. We were also separated for a while there, and there was also another woman involved. He went into treatment when our son was only a few months old thankfully. Did a rehab based on private therapy where they used evidence based approaches to treating addiction, and tools like cognitive behavioral therapy to help with triggers, cravings. He was committed to it, but not at first. We had a mini intervention of sorts with family and a doctor to talk him into it. He has almost 2 years free of drugs now, and continues with therapy -mostly just for stress management at this point. (we all need someone to vent to !)

So my opinion - always push treatment & he will let you know if you are being annoying. if that happens then back off.

My therapist also suggested this book to me " get your loved one sober, alternative to nagging, pleading and threatening by Robert Meyers. it is based on the CRAFT method (community reinforcement and family training) - you can google all that , look up the book on amazon. It uses communication, and positive incentives to encourage treatment - also helps you set boundaries for yourself etc. It has good results at getting a person into treatment. And then it is up to them.....

Good luck.