View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
KeepinItReal

I watched the show all the time and found it informative. Some of the things I was doing was enabling a bad situation to continue for a long time. Me, while I was an addict had let go of a lot of things and let things get totally out of control in MY life before I said... here's the door.. don't come back through it.
Then I was able to heal. Focus on MY life.. and quit the lifestyle, friends and drugs that made my life complete chaos and misery. If I had not had the strength to do this.. I don't know what would have happened. I did follow the stop enabling, and positive reinforcement... and held my boundaries. It got me to today. 4 years plus drug free for myself and a recovering addicted husband in a long-term treatment program.
I find that these techniques DO work.. and I remember how hesitant I was to use them. I also found that doing things in anger and not love... did not work either. If it's to punish.. then it's not a good thing. People are people... and smarter than we think.
I love that show... but it breaks my heart when people.. or mother pull away without love. They think that withholding love.. will cure the addict. That is not the case. There was one episode that really broke my heart.