You ever watch Intervention on A+E......

Old 01-17-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

You ever watch Intervention on A+E......

and always at the end of the show you say "it's the parents/family who keep enabling!!?" It looks so clear as day on TV!
Then all of a sudden you find yourself in the same situation and realize you aren't that much different!
Just wondering if anyone else had watched the show and thought the same thing and then found themselves in the same exact position.
Funny how that happens............well....... not really.............
Old 01-17-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes I have and I really like it! I guess some, in my position, would be sick of talking and looking at it. For me, it gives me information and feedback in a short time period....
Old 01-17-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I have watched. The saddest part is when the show pictures of the addict in their childhood.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't really go for the whole enabling thing
Old 01-17-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

neither do I cabo but I was somewhat without realizing it. Not giving him money or enabling him to DO the drugs. Just trying to control the situation and his actions. Enabling comes in many forms!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I watched the show all the time and found it informative. Some of the things I was doing was enabling a bad situation to continue for a long time. Me, while I was an addict had let go of a lot of things and let things get totally out of control in MY life before I said... here's the door.. don't come back through it.
Then I was able to heal. Focus on MY life.. and quit the lifestyle, friends and drugs that made my life complete chaos and misery. If I had not had the strength to do this.. I don't know what would have happened. I did follow the stop enabling, and positive reinforcement... and held my boundaries. It got me to today. 4 years plus drug free for myself and a recovering addicted husband in a long-term treatment program.
I find that these techniques DO work.. and I remember how hesitant I was to use them. I also found that doing things in anger and not love... did not work either. If it's to punish.. then it's not a good thing. People are people... and smarter than we think.
I love that show... but it breaks my heart when people.. or mother pull away without love. They think that withholding love.. will cure the addict. That is not the case. There was one episode that really broke my heart.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would like to add... LOVE DOES NOT COST MONEY. It's just about the kind words.. ONLY. Being mean... is not the answer. Paying for stuff is not the answer. Just love which is free and there's no $$ signs on it.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Couldnt have said it better myself.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I used to watch it, but its too triggering right now. Ummm its important to get out of denial about enabling. The mean, blunt, cold, hard truth about rehab and jail is that it doesn't get the addicts away from drugs. There are drugs all over the yards in both places... what does it get them away from??? Yup. Enablers. Period.