View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
petmagnet

Originally Posted by lizatola View Post
You certainly don't see ads on billboards depicting someone going through alcohol withdrawal but you will see ads about illegal drugs and even cigarettes. I'spm sure the lobbyists in Washington for the alcohol manufacturers and distributors are in control of much of that.
I couldn't agree with you more on this the whole alcohol thing being completely romanticized. You never see ads depicting a withered drunk suffering from advanced cirrhosis of the liver. It's always the beautiful happy people. Even the drunk driving ads usually do not connect the images of the drink itself with the accident.

I just had a discussion with a friend about this. The FDA regulates about every drug we put into our bodies, they even have limits on the amount of Sudafed you can buy and make you sign a book for it because of the meth addicts. Why do they not have a limit on the amount of booze you can buy? It's literally a poison, they know this, and it can kill much quicker than cigarettes if abused. They regulate and give warnings about everything else!! I think you're right it has a lot to do with the lobbyists. It's so messed up, obviously they have not had to live personally with the fall out an alcoholic creates.