View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kris47

Originally Posted by Charlie117926 View Post
Hello SR:

I have contemplated joining the group for a while as my thought was "I can control" anything that comes my way.

Well I am here because I am out of control and have been for a long time. I woke up, again, today and feel horrible. Like the title says, I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I am tired of feeling horrible. I am tired of my brain soaking in drink. I am tired of not giving my family the attention they need. I am tired of the money loss. I am tired of hiding the empties in the garage (I don't drink in the house / never have) I am tired.

My wife has been expressing her disdain to me for being constantly late from work (knowing I have been at the bar) so I upped the ante and now I started leaving work early (a couple of times a week) so I can get my drinking on and still not be too late to get home and eventually end up in the garage claiming I have to work on something. I am not its only a cover to keep drinking. I wait for everyone to go to bed so I don't have to talk to anyone so I can avoid anyone knowing I am in bad shape.

I am tired of lying and cheating my kids out of the father they need, my wife out of the husband she needs and I am tired of cheating my work out of there employee (been there 21 years) that I hope they need.

My problem is, I am in a profession that surrounds itself with alcohol. My friends (all from childhood) are all drinkers. Everything in my life revolves around alcohol (beer mainly for me.) I am not making excuses, but it doesn't make stopping any easier. But at this point I am ready. I am sure I am not new in that over the last two or three months I have thrown out as much alcohol as I have bought. My old theory of "never again!" and the next day stopping off for more.

This monkey on my back has ran its course and I want it gone like nothing I have wanted in my entire life.

I hope that I am not offending anyone when I say I don't want to place myself in the mindset that I am hopeless to this. I want to be victorious. I want to fight like I am a rabid dog backed in a corner. But in the same breath I am hopeless at this stage or I wouldn't be here looking for support and help.

everyday I come home my kids greet me with a smile and a hug. It makes me want to cry like a baby that me, their father, is killing himself slowly one mug / bottle / can at a time.

I want a life free from alcohol because the last 20 years (on and off) have not been.

I am sure my story is like many others, but I have to start somewhere, today. Today has to be the day

Thanks for hearing me out.

Charlie
Hello Charlie,

Make today the day.

My story was much the same as yours. I worked too worked in a profession that alcohol played a huge part. I never realized that I could have done similar work in a different field where it would not have been so prevalent. Perhaps, because I liked it. Does this resonate with you? In the end it is not a profitable career at all. Use the time to search out other avenues and always know that we are here for you. Your new non-drinking friends.

Kris