Thread: Cherry red hair
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
soberclover

Cherry red hair

I'm not sure what was most disturbing to me about my dream last night; the fact that I had dyed my snow-white hair a cherry red color OR the fact that I wasn't drinking but was keenly aware that I was displaying active drinking/alcoholic behaviors. I was so thrown when I woke up this morning that I raced (ok...I really hobbled because these bones are tired first thing in the morning) to the mirror to look to see what color my hair was. I was so relieved to recognize that it was a dream. I also have so far today, reflected a lot on the actual realization in my dream that I was acting out alcoholically even though I wasn't drinking. It made me realize that I must be having a "sober growth spurt" in recognizing that there are alcoholic behaviors and sober behaviors and one makes me uncomfortable and one doesn't (as much anyway...the reality is that I'm still getting used to some of my sober behaviors because they are still so new in my life). Sobriety is so much more than just not drinking...it is about learning how to live comfortably with a sober lifestyle.

I need to add that I have nothing against cherry red hair. I did sport some rockin' redish color before I started turning grey prematurely in high school. I stopped dying my hair a number of years ago and accepted what I had even though I recognize that it is unique for someone my age.