Notices

Cherry red hair

Old 01-15-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cherry red hair

I'm not sure what was most disturbing to me about my dream last night; the fact that I had dyed my snow-white hair a cherry red color OR the fact that I wasn't drinking but was keenly aware that I was displaying active drinking/alcoholic behaviors. I was so thrown when I woke up this morning that I raced (ok...I really hobbled because these bones are tired first thing in the morning) to the mirror to look to see what color my hair was. I was so relieved to recognize that it was a dream. I also have so far today, reflected a lot on the actual realization in my dream that I was acting out alcoholically even though I wasn't drinking. It made me realize that I must be having a "sober growth spurt" in recognizing that there are alcoholic behaviors and sober behaviors and one makes me uncomfortable and one doesn't (as much anyway...the reality is that I'm still getting used to some of my sober behaviors because they are still so new in my life). Sobriety is so much more than just not drinking...it is about learning how to live comfortably with a sober lifestyle.

I need to add that I have nothing against cherry red hair. I did sport some rockin' redish color before I started turning grey prematurely in high school. I stopped dying my hair a number of years ago and accepted what I had even though I recognize that it is unique for someone my age.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know about your dream but, I'll confess that I am INSANELY jealous of your perfectly white gray hair!! LOL I started getting some grays at 28 and I can't bear to let my natural color grow out because there are now SO MANY. I'm only 34!

On my mom's side- the women get white streaks at their temples and widow's peak. All perfect... until it all turns this gorgeous silvery white color. But, lucky me- I took after my father's side.. all nonsensical salt and pepper.

As a side note- I keep my hair dark fire engine red! So, I had to reply... LOL (and my favorite animal besides dogs- owls... get outa my head man!! ;-))
Old 01-15-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm edging close to being a card carrying senior citizen and am sporting a beautiful lavender hair color currently that I absolutely love.

Maybe I'm just bat **** crazy cuz I assure you I am permanently stone cold "sober".
Old 01-15-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I dye my hair dark red too :P Dreams can be eerie! I used to dream that my teeth kept falling out, someone told me that has something to do with insecurity
Old 01-15-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your dream brought to mind my daughter's current favorite bedtime read "Pinkalicious" in which Pinkalicious wakes up after eating too many pink cupcakes to find that she has turned pink as well as her hair. And she loves it!

"Sobriety is so much more than just not drinking...it is about learning how to live comfortably with a sober lifestyle." I understand this completely. I've been having those feelings too lately. Maybe your dream was helping you process this? I've been realizing a whole lot of things about myself lately that I don't like that I was doing while drunk but the behavior has continued while sober. Why I need to work steps.

Meanwhile - rock on with white hair! I admire you for that. I think it's fierce, in a good way. I started graying at 18. Women in my family do this. I have no idea of what my actual hair color is at the moment because I dye it but I am sure that it is almost completely white. I have toyed with the idea of just letting go. My mother's hair is a gorgeous silver. However, my two kids are 8 and 5. I am 49 and I am not keen on being asked if these are my grandchildren.