View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
allforcnm

Im sorry for what you are going through gg.

My husband was gone for three months in rehab, but we were also allowed to talk and visit. Its very hard at first because we miss them and our lives are supposed to carry on as usual with work, and home life and activities… but they are not here. And of course we miss them. And on top of that we have to deal with all the stress of what happened before they left for rehab. Sometimes it has been so chaotic and crazy that our adrenalin levels have increased, and now with them gone things seem too calm and quiet and we cant rest. Its good to hear your going to the gym and working out, and I think its wonderful you realize you cant keep all this pent up - you need to vent and let out your emotions.

If you have not educated you self on addiction, then I would suggest you start with this. You can read up on your boyfriends drugs of choice, learn why people become addicted, and how the brain is affected when the person is taking drugs. It explains all those signs you saw: the lying to protect the addiction, irrational decisions and behavior. I experienced all of that with my husband. Here is a link to the National Institute of Drug Abuse; family section. Hope its helpful: Drug Abuse and Addiction | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)

I worked with a therapist while my husband was in rehab. It gave me a safe place to vent and explore my feelings. Plus she was able to help me further understand addiction, and all the other issues that were involved in our relationship. I really don’t think I could have made it through without the support of my family. I can understand your family finding out about the health and addiction issues and suggesting you end things. My parents suggested I end things when they found out all of it – and we were married. So I get it. But I would give it some time, and then rethink sharing with you family, or close friends. They know you, and Im sure only want what’s best for you.

Something else that helped me was journaling. It helped me to write down my feelings, thoughts, fears, then give it a little time and go back and look with new eyes. Its also helped me to remember: I don’t have to have all the answers today.