View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Flyingaway

Husband joined AA-now is leaving

Hello, After 26 years my husband finally got sober. In the beginning of our marriage I did not know he was an alcoholic. It became evident early on and I threw myself into Al Anon and figuring out what alcoholism was. I learned early what rescuing and detaching was. He did go to rehab and "got educated". After our child was born. for a couple of years he didn't drink. Then he convinced himself he could drink and stay in control. Of course all those drinking years he had to run his business out of our home to stay close to the bottle. His choice kept him from becoming successful in his eyes. Then 3 1/2 years ago he started getting seriously ill, blood clots, thyroid issues, liver issues and prostate cancer. After a few trips to the hospital to detox he got sober: 2 1/2 years ago. I was cautiously optimistic. Now he tells me he's not the same person, doesn't want the same things as before, doesn't see us together the rest of our lives. He says he still loves me and is kind but extremely detached. I am just trying to make sense out of this. My heart is breaking. Thank you for allowing me to post on this site. I need so to understand from your point of view.