View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Like2Hike

I understand where Karate is coming from. We all have different personalities and different motivators. As the length of sobriety increases our methods and ambitions change. I also believe in leveraging our strengths when considering the task at hand.

In the beginning, it absolutely helped me to consider alcohol a foe who was trying to best me in a competition. I've participated in sports all my life and have experience in training my body, mind and emotions for competition. Leveraging a strength was part of my plan. Now, I've moved on because the foe is beaten and I just must be vigilant to not let it reappear.

There are new goals and things in life to enjoy that have nothing to do with alcohol. I don't drink it anymore so it's simply not a factor. The greatest reward was around 9 months when I felt incredible relief that I'd never again have to deal with negative effects drinking has on my life.

I hope everyone finds their most beneficial method for sobriety. I enjoy reading everyones posts.