Notices

Dig in your heels , get tough !

Old 01-11-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dig in your heels , get tough !

Those of you psysically dependent , quit fooling around .

Go to detox !

When you get out ,KNOW Alcohol is your sworn enemy , get MAD at this sworn enemy that wants to KILL you !

Get tough , it's a challenge , meet the enemy on the battlefield and slice it's jugular vien , KILL the enemy .

Don't say " I won't drink today " it's NEVER will the enemy win !

This came to me today , driving to work .

Kill the enemy , or die yourself - its a choice .
Old 01-11-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How are you today, Karate? You should be proud of yourself for making it through yesterday sober. xoxo
Old 01-11-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Alcoholism is a fatal disease and it wins far more than it loses. Know your enemy for.what it is
Old 01-11-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's a semi bad day , I'm kind of pissed off .

Alcohol will not defeat me , turning my anger towords it .

Things will level out , just a little time .

Cravings are not bad .

Dealing with Aunts estate is stressful , but got her laid to rest yesterday .
Old 01-11-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My take is different but whatever works saves lives. For me it's only when i gave up the fight that i started to win. Hell with the fight, it's one i'll never win.
I just don't climb in the ring anymore...
Phew...G
Old 01-11-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by karate View Post
It's a semi bad day , I'm kind of pissed off .

Alcohol will not defeat me , turning my anger towords it .

Things will level out , just a little time .

Cravings are not bad .

Dealing with Aunts estate is stressful , but got her laid to rest yesterday .
Good you got through the worst part of that sober. That is an accomplishment.
Sounds like most of the "gotta do it now" stuff is over.
If you are like me,a year from now. (a year goes by quicker than you think) You will look back and think "How the hell did I think booze would help to wash something like that down with"

Fred
Old 01-11-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by afloatsober View Post
My take is different but whatever works saves lives. For me it's only when i gave up the fight that i started to win. Hell with the fight, it's one i'll never win.
I just don't climb in the ring anymore...
Phew...G
I tried the white knuckle fight and lost more often than I won. I think it has it uses and if it is helping you Karate that is awesome. For me though I had the same epiphany that aloatsober did. Once I raised the flag and surrendered things started to get better. Don't get me wrong though, standing toe to toe and fighting it got me through a lot of battles on the winning side early on.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awesome post. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Staying resolved against temptation itself is a worthy enough fight to stand up for and be counted in as a winner. Fighting against ourselves otherwise however, in the name of being against drinking is something else again. Like others here, I never won my fight against alcoholism. The more I fought against drinking, the more miserable I became no matter what else I did I ended up with a lousy day - and I wasn't even drinking, lol. What made the difference was either drink away the urges, which never works out well, or face them for what they really were: my addiction ambivalence in play - ie both wanting and not wanting to drink all in the same moment.

For me, being open-minded to instant and drastic change is what saved my sorry azz. Doing the next right thing, whatever it needed to be to keep me moving forward without more drinking and at the same time surrendering to the reality that my addiction could only win if I drank or didn't change out my lifestyle.

Not fighting against the reality of my addiction was the exact needed change for me to continue on and change myself and my life. So yeah, hanging tough and digging in is cool, but beating ourselves into a bloody pulp against being open to change in the name of not drinking is an epic failure in our journey of being successful in life.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Things I realized during my recovery.

Booze was never at war with me. I just used to pick fights with it.

Once I started messing with it, It was ME who ramped up the fight, fanned the flames and kept on going long after I should have seen I was beat and walk away.

One day the light went on that I could walk away and alcohol wouldn't chase me.

Now when we meet, we agree to disagree and don't engage with one another at all.

All I know is that when MY personality was all involved in the big war and fight against alcohol, it kept ME engaged in drinking/not drinking and all sorts of misery and drama. I really had to just quit and disengage to be free. It was as hard to give up the drama and hand wringing and woe is me...of the fight, as it had been to give up the booze.

Fighting alcoholism sounds so glamorous...not drinking is very ho hum. But ultimately it has been very rewarding.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Staying resolved against temptation itself is a worthy enough fight to stand up for and be counted in as a winner. Fighting against ourselves otherwise however, in the name of being against drinking is something else again. Like others here, I never won my fight against alcoholism. The more I fought against drinking, the more miserable I became no matter what else I did I ended up with a lousy day - and I wasn't even drinking, lol. What made the difference was either drink away the urges, which never works out well, or face them for what they really were: my addiction ambivalence in play - ie both wanting and not wanting to drink all in the same moment.

For me, being open-minded to instant and drastic change is what saved my sorry azz. Doing the next right thing, whatever it needed to be to keep me moving forward without more drinking and at the same time surrendering to the reality that my addiction could only win if I drank or didn't change out my lifestyle.

Not fighting against the reality of my addiction was the exact needed change for me to continue on and change myself and my life. So yeah, hanging tough and digging in is cool, but beating ourselves into a bloody pulp against being open to change in the name of not drinking is an epic failure in our journey of being successful in life.
Well said, Robby.

This is a battle we can never truly win in any complete or meaningful way; nor is it a battle we should even attempt to win. The thing to do is to build a better life, and this is done by first leaving the fight behind.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've actually had a war analogy thought in my head for some time now regarding myself and alcohol. Basically, I called a truce or a cease fire with alcohol. In reality, a cease fire or a truce is pretty much ending a war while one side is getting their ass kicked proper. A truce or cease fire is both sides saying, "hey, let's end this thing, and we won't tell anyone what really happened here."

Guess which side in my war was getting its ass kicked?
Old 01-11-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm not about , co existence with it in peace .

I'm going to grab it by the back of the head , and break its neck .

I guess my idea is not for everyone , but anything that has given me those problems -is my enemy , an enemy capable of killing me .

It needs to be taken serious and be angry at the stuff .

I'm mad at it for all the trouble it caused me .
Old 01-11-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I guess my idea is not for everyone , but anything that has given me those problems -is my enemy , an enemy capable of killing me .

That's sort of what we are saying. We are saying if you eliminate it completely there is nothing to fight. Fighting it only holds onto the problem and keeps it in your psyche. You will need to fight it tooth and nail in the beginning when the cravings are very strong but the sooner you are able to completely eliminate the alcohol equation in your life the sooner will no longer have to fight.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Since alcoholism and sobriety are both inside jobs, you'll be sorely pressed to "grab it by the back of the head and break its neck" no matter how angry you may become.

There really is nothing substantial to fight against without you inventing a created something for yourself, and therein lies the danger of you being your own worse enemy. I think we need to be honest here about your back story when you posted that when you drank you always got ugly mean:

I'm a mean drunk , I'll fight with anyone . And to whatever level they decide to take it to .

When I was drinking , I have be confronted with guns , I had no fear ,
Only blind rage and anger .

At the time I was drinking , I had anger problems also .

I'm sicker than most here .

I can be a lunatic sober , drinking turns off the part of my brain that says STOP

So I don't agree it's a 100% personality change , but it let out 100%
Of my bad traits .

I'd jump on a grizzly bear drunk , and at that time I'd swear I could kill him
Bare handed .

To summirize - it turns off all my inhibations .

They say a drunk mans words are a sober mans thoughts .

If I hate you drunk , I'll hate you sober too , but you are psysically safe if I'm sober
If I'm drunk , better get yourself a gun and shoot me .

I feel blessed God allowed me to get through it , without going to prison .

You know, it doesn't take a lot of thinking to see the writing on the wall here, its as plain as day. Alcohol itself doesn't contain anger in a bottle, and so for you its important to understand the anger comes from within you, and not from the bottle. You're an angry guy already enough without creating more drama for yourself is my suggestion, Karate. I also suggest you don't believe that since your sober today, that all that anger can't be reached unless your drinking.

Its not easy to face our tougher emotions when first becoming sober, but there is nothing for it but to just do our best with what we got when we make the changes to keep sober. Getting all over-the-top angry about anything is not a smart play drunk or sober. For anybody.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If you're always at war aren't you always feeling angry? It must be exhausting. I hope you can let it go someday but, hey whatever works as long as you don't drink. Peace
Old 01-11-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Monty Python And The Holy Grail- The Black Knight - YouTube

Old 01-11-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I understand where Karate is coming from. We all have different personalities and different motivators. As the length of sobriety increases our methods and ambitions change. I also believe in leveraging our strengths when considering the task at hand.

In the beginning, it absolutely helped me to consider alcohol a foe who was trying to best me in a competition. I've participated in sports all my life and have experience in training my body, mind and emotions for competition. Leveraging a strength was part of my plan. Now, I've moved on because the foe is beaten and I just must be vigilant to not let it reappear.

There are new goals and things in life to enjoy that have nothing to do with alcohol. I don't drink it anymore so it's simply not a factor. The greatest reward was around 9 months when I felt incredible relief that I'd never again have to deal with negative effects drinking has on my life.

I hope everyone finds their most beneficial method for sobriety. I enjoy reading everyones posts.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Im not mad at anything but alcohol ,it is the enemy .

It calls ,I respond with F. you
Old 01-11-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Im not mad at anything but alcohol ,it is the enemy
Well, let's say you and I, we'll agree to disagree with whether your only mad at alcohol, lol.