Thread: Curious
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Allie0721

Curious

My daughter, almost 30 and her daughter who is 6, live with us. My daughter is an alcoholic. She just got her second DUI a few weeks ago while attempting to shop for her daughter for Christmas (sad I know). My daughter has a degree and works full time (she has always been a hard worker) but has no money to move out (bills, etc). I want to kick her out of my house but I have my granddaughter to think about. She has no father involved and my husband and I as well as my other daughter, are the stability. She is also very attached to her mother, as when she is not drinking she is a stellar parent.

My husband is not in the best of health and I work nights to support our household. Taking custody of our granddaughter is a possibility, but I would like to see our daughter self sufficient. I also don't really want to raise another child at my age. My husband who is the salt of the earth, I don't think he could take on the responsibility.
I do not give her money for anything by the way.

Questions:
1. Should I kick her out and take her daughter (she has nowhere to go). I need to know the difference between enabling and helping her to help herself!

2. I am currently not speaking to her until I can formulate without being so angry and sad -- should I?

3. I don't know if I should give her money for a lawyer as this will ruin her life. She was not actually driving at the time but was in the car, drunk. she had pulled over because she realized she shouldn't drive.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. I am attending online AlAnon meetings but am still new at this. She has reached out to AA but not sure about the follow through.