View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 03:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Joe Nerv

Yes, to the OP, everything everyone has already said here.

My panic attacks came in feelings of unreality, and other feelings and thoughts I still till this day can't describe. Felt very much like I was going to snap and lose my mind, and I had no choice but to drink or often times reach for a valium to pop in my mouth before I even opened my eyes in the morning (or actually whenever it was that I was waking up). Taking away the alcohol took a significant edge off the panic attacks, and gave me the ability to gather other tools to learn to deal with, and eventually heal it.

About month into sobriety my only goal in life was to be able to get out of my house, travel by bus or train to a mall, buy something, and return... with no anxiety or panic (or with the ability to at least walk through it). That's how crippling my panic had become. I can't even begin to tell you how far beyond that I've gone. I am free from alcohol, and all the horrible things it brought along with it. And I believe anyone can do it, if they have a powerful enough desire. I was certain I was hopeless when I stopped. The pain of that hopelessness made me open minded and willing enough to go after sobriety with probably even more force than I chased alcohol and drugs.

There is an awesome life waiting for you on the other side of the bottle. I'd suggest starting that life as soon as you can.