Notices

Panic attacks from drinking

Old 01-07-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Panic attacks from drinking

Anyone here get anxiety or panic from drinking to much the day before. I always have anxiety and obsessive thoughts, I have for years but it SEEMS worse after a night of heavy drinking. Like today I am ruminating a lot of about death. I always worry about my family dying, it is some stupid obsession I have but it seems very bad today and it seems like it gets worse every single time I drink a lot. I am trying to stop drinking AGAIN. I have to stop this. This is for sure the lowest I have ever been. I keep also thinking about how I seem to be like a hamster spinning around on that wheel, getting nowhere, feeling sorry for myself, and then saying oh hell just drink it will make you happy and then the next day I feel bad and swear I wont do it again. 3 days later I do the same thing. I am so worn out.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I always had panic attacks in the end... They went away after I quit...

Hope you stick with it! You'll feel so much better!!
Old 01-07-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was constantly anxious when I was drinking. I also found that anxieties I have always had were far more intense.
Since I stopped I hardly ever feel anxious
Old 01-07-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would have panic attacks in the morning - probably about the time my blood alcohol started to really drop. Day after day... Then, in the afternoon, I'd decide that drinking was a good idea again.

When I don't drink, I don't have anxiety, much less panic attacks.... I thought I was drinking to get rid of anxiety, but I was really just creating more.

Life is much easier now.

Good luck to you!
Old 01-07-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always had panic attacks and weird irrational fears.

Do you have a plan this time to stay sober, Ineedtostopthis?

D
Old 01-07-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Near the end I had withdrawal panic attacks everyday and sometimes while drinking. It wasn't fun, but since I quit I haven't had one. If you're having panic attacks from drinking the only thing that is going to make it better is to quit.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have had anxiety pretty badly my whole life. I noticed it starting to get way worse in my early 20s tho. I just attributed it to being an adult and more stress. It NEVER occurred to me that getting plastered every night greatly contributes to many, many people having anxiety. But it does, myself included!
Old 01-07-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Of course. Alcohol messes with your brain chemistry, so when you abruptly stop consuming it, your brain wonders "what the hell???!" Mild anxiety and panic is probably a symptom of a hangover for normal drinkers too.

For alcoholics, well it's hell.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Imabuleva View Post
Of course. Alcohol messes with your brain chemistry, so when you abruptly stop consuming it, your brain wonders "what the hell???!" Mild anxiety and panic is probably a symptom of a hangover for normal drinkers too.

For alcoholics, well it's hell.
Yeah it was awful for me. I don't even have anxiety either, it was just massive panic attacks from withdrawal. My brain just would get to a point after the last drink and it was like turning the lights on, boom, massive panic attack and I had to drink it away.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SeaScape

It took me a long time to connect the anxiety and depression with my alcohol consumption. It's HORRIBLE. Self-loathing, impending doom, death, fear, and panic: I finally understand that I don't have to feel this way if I don't drink. I just can't believe how long it took me to realize the connection!
Old 01-07-2014, 10:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SeaScape View Post
It took me a long time to connect the anxiety and depression with my alcohol consumption. It's HORRIBLE. Self-loathing, impending doom, death, fear, and panic: I finally understand that I don't have to feel this way if I don't drink. I just can't believe how long it took me to realize the connection!
It's crazy how many of us hold onto alcohol when it's only causing problems.

I was different though I didn't have anxiety or depression. My brain just would start to panic without alcohol. Bad panic attacks where my heart was beating out of my chest and I would be hyperventilating.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had massive anxiety and panic attacks. Then throw in a nasty dose of paranoia. Truly horrible. All part of the insane alcoholic brain ! Only way to stop this was to abstain. Thankfully, it is a memory now. I pray it stays that way
Old 01-07-2014, 10:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Those withdrawals & panic attacks will disappear w/ time BUT nthg changes if nthg changes
Best wishes
Old 01-07-2014, 11:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow, never expected so many responses so fast. Thank you. I just wish I could stop this obsession with death. I am hoping it goes away when I stop drinking. Of course with may anxiety I fear it wont and maybe I am just crazy with or without booze. I am going to try to come here every day and stick with it this time. I have to or I fear I will kill myself with alcohol.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes, they are common. I am still prone, but they arenlt nearly as bad as when I drank x
Old 01-08-2014, 02:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Anxiety , insomnia , horrid panic attacks the day after a drinking session and morbid thoughts all caused by alcohell , yep I had them all.

They are all gone now a distant memory
Old 01-08-2014, 03:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes, to the OP, everything everyone has already said here.

My panic attacks came in feelings of unreality, and other feelings and thoughts I still till this day can't describe. Felt very much like I was going to snap and lose my mind, and I had no choice but to drink or often times reach for a valium to pop in my mouth before I even opened my eyes in the morning (or actually whenever it was that I was waking up). Taking away the alcohol took a significant edge off the panic attacks, and gave me the ability to gather other tools to learn to deal with, and eventually heal it.

About month into sobriety my only goal in life was to be able to get out of my house, travel by bus or train to a mall, buy something, and return... with no anxiety or panic (or with the ability to at least walk through it). That's how crippling my panic had become. I can't even begin to tell you how far beyond that I've gone. I am free from alcohol, and all the horrible things it brought along with it. And I believe anyone can do it, if they have a powerful enough desire. I was certain I was hopeless when I stopped. The pain of that hopelessness made me open minded and willing enough to go after sobriety with probably even more force than I chased alcohol and drugs.

There is an awesome life waiting for you on the other side of the bottle. I'd suggest starting that life as soon as you can.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Post drinking anxiety was one of the MAIN reasons I quit drinking. It became unbearable. I'm a worrier by nature on a good day and am really hard on myself. After a night of drinking, I was in full blown panic the next day for hours with a racing heart, obsessive thoughts (usually about what a screw up I am), the sweats etc.

The thought of experiencing the next day anxiety horror show prevents me from indulging in any alcohol. It just isn't worth it. Waking up fresh, calm (relatively!), and without any hangover/withdrawal symptoms is so worth it.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RevivingOphelia View Post
Post drinking anxiety was one of the MAIN reasons I quit drinking. It became unbearable. I'm a worrier by nature on a good day and am really hard on myself.

After a night of drinking, I was in full blown panic the next day for hours with a racing heart, obsessive thoughts (usually about what a screw up I am), the sweats etc.

The thought of experiencing the next day anxiety horror show prevents me from indulging in any alcohol. It just isn't worth it. Waking up fresh, calm (relatively!), and without any hangover/withdrawal symptoms is so worth it.
This was also my experience exactly.

One of the very best things about sobriety for me is waking up feeling happy and positive instead of these feelings. It took a few months for them to go away all together, but I saw significant improvement by the end of the second week. Everyone is different, but drinking to make them go away does not work in the long run. The negative feelings get worse and worse.

You can do it!
Old 01-08-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes, my anxiety and guilt was horrible the day after drinking. It's one of the main reasons I stopped. It's really tough to get through the first few weeks. Maybe you should see a doctor. and get some suggestions on how to deal with it Good luck to you. xo