View Single Post
Old 02-05-2005, 04:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
DesertEyes

Hello Q :-)

I have experienced feeling very similar to those you mention. I used to have a fascination for glass. Large panes of it. I would rub the palms of my hands against the glass until I could make it sing a wondrous pure note. 'course, I'd break the glass in the process, and the pain I felt as it cut my flesh was about the only feeeling I could experience when I was in the depth of my depression as an adolescent survivor of incest and abuse.

What works for me today, in addition to all the fine advice that has already been posted, is to get on the phone and talk to somebody from the list of phone numbers I received at my meetings. Getting in touch with real people in a real meeting, or lacking a meeting then just the phone, is the best therapy I have found. I also focus on just the immediate present. Just focus on getting thru today. Sometimes it's just an hour. Sometimes just five minutes.

It's kept me sane and sober for 24 years now, and although I have challenges in life, I am far happier and healthier today than ever before. You can do it too, all you have to do is go to a lot of meetings, get a sponsor, work the steps and it will work for you too.

Mike :-)