Thread: AA Moving on
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
readerbaby71

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Thanks Dig Dug - I agree much is about the experience and finding someone who has what you want - this is key. Its a tremendous motivator and makes all the difference.

As for me, who knows why, perhaps its a test how things worked out and all... I don't feel close to a drink or risking my sobriety at all and I have a pretty good safety net in place (SR/therapy), so I am trying to change things up bc at the core I feel my program has worked but not what I need for the next phase of growth. So I feel like this is the right time to change a couple variables. If I find I am drifting too far out to sea, I can come back to AA.

The problem with meetings is they can be cliquey and this is creating an issue for me bc I like my Wed night meeting - its the best around that I have found. But I will not be welcomed bc I am questioning and changing my sponsor. I am sure this happens quite often and I am not sure how you deal with this in such a loosely organized program run by many sick people (some recovered of course).

Anyhow, I am becoming quite self aware pay my therapist to question my motives and ego - who knows I may find AVRT is a much better fit - then again, I may find it does not work for me - either way I hope my chronicles help someone else starting out.
Wow, if you won't be welcomed by the group because your sponsor hasn't worked out maybe it's best that you find another meeting. Or focus on AVRT right now and see how it goes.

My BF's sponsor has been sober 10 years, but is new to the area and is going through a lot. His marriage is falling apart and he's having a really hard time. He has absolutely no sense of humor, and my BF needs to laugh once in a while. When my BF finally got into rehab he said, "are you sure you still want to go?" Not a good fit. My BF is very passive and doesn't like conflict so at least rehab gave him an excuse to bow out of the relationship. Don't get me wrong, his sponsor is a good person and a nice guy, but their personalities were not compatible and since he's got his own stuff to deal with helping someone else probably isn't the best idea right now.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best! It seems like you've grown a lot and have a good plan to stay on track.

Have a good weekend!